Spinach is one of my favorite greens. I will eat it in pretty much any form, but I really love it raw. This particular dish was inspired by my dining hall days– I would try to eat healthy by using spinach as base for my tomato sauce rather than pasta. The heat from the tomato sauce actually cooks the spinach slightly, so the spinach is “al-dante.” Now that I am a big girl or whatever I decided to make my old stand-by-side a meal by adding protein and fiber packed lentils. I’ve found that the best way to cook red lentils is to follow the instructions on the back of the bag from Trader Joe’s.
Time to Prepare: about 30-45 min
- 1 cup split red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Heat oil in a pan with tall sides.
- Add lentils, toast for 2-3 min
- Add broth and wine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 min or until the lentils are tender but not soup-y.
- When the lentils are almost done (after about 8 min) add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
- Cook tomato sauce on the stove for about 5 min., or until it’s hot
- Divide Spinach onto two serving dishes
- Top with lentils and then tomato sauce