This weekend, the storm of the century pounded Boston with about 2 feet of snow. The entire city has been more or less shut down since Friday afternoon. So, what did I do with my free time? Work in a dish room for some extra cash, attempt to join the most epic snowball fight of all time only to find out it had already been broken up by the cops, and bake bread.
I really wanted to make a traditional loaf with all my spare time, but I don’t happen to possess any yeast. So, after a little internet research, I decided on this Irish soda bread recipe. It wasn’t too difficult- the toughest part was convincing the sticky dough it stay in a vaguely round shape. The results were unequivocally delicious. I brought what I had managed to not eat in the 6 hours between afternoon and evening to my friend J’s fondue potluck. There is only thing better than Irish soda bread: Irish soda bread dipped in melted cheese.
I got about 1/4 of the way through the loaf before I could stop eating long enough to take a picture.
Isn’t he just cute? His little smile makes me so happy.
Frozen banana men are perfect for satisfying an ice cream craving, and their small size great for portion control. This dessert was inspired by my friend E and by a gingerbread-men mold that I found on clearance at K-mart after the holidays. It’s rubbery so it is easy to pop the little men out and maintain their shapes. Note that the dish can be made just as well in an ice-cube tray. Did I mention it’s ridiculously easy?
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 Tbsp nutella
- Note: this dish can be made vegan by using a vegan chocolate alternative for nutella, such as vegan chocolate chips. You can also substitute chocolate soy milk for plain, or omit the chocolate all together
- peel bananas into a bowl and mash them until they have a smooth and creamy texture and most of the lumps are gone.
- Add soy milk.
- Mix in nutella or vegan substitute. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more soy milk.
- Pour mixture into mold or ice-cube tray, filling the compartments a little more than 3/4.
- Freeze for 4+ hours
Told you it was easy.
To store the men more space-efficiently (or your ice-cube tray for something else), simply place men in a freezer proof Tupperware in layers, separating each layer with a piece of plastic wrap.